Notes for Parents:
- If you would like to sign up to be a Mystery Reader, please view the sign-up linked here. I am looking forward to having you “join” our class for a fun read aloud!
- The official end of Semester 1 was Friday, January 15th. I’ll be finalizing report cards and they will be sent home Friday, January 22. Unfortunately, we won’t meet together until March for Parent-Teacher Conferences. I will do my best to be as thorough as possible and give explanations. We will continue to use the 1, 2, 3 scoring (while 3* is on the report card as advanced, we do not use this score). Please remember that receiving 2’s is totally acceptable and means your child is growing on their way to where he/she needs to be by the end of the year.
- The Annual PE Apparel sale is happening now until February 1. The store is online only. For more information go to the PE Blog. http://mvankoev.edublogs.org
- Our class won a pizza party from a previous Jet’s Pizza Night! They will NOT need a lunch Friday, January 22. They are SO excited to be able to eat pizza in our classroom together!
- Please take a moment to read how we will do Valentine’s cards in first grade!
***Please return these items to school if you have not done so yet! Now that we have the computers back at school, we will be using them 2-3 times a week. Also, next week we will be starting book clubs and using the packets you see below.
- Book Club Pack (looks like the picture below at your child’s level)
- Monday, January 18 – Art, Library, Return Baggie Books
- Tuesday, January 19 – STEAM
- Wednesday, January 20 – Music
- Thursday, January 21 – Gym
- Friday, January 22 – Art, Pizza Party!
- Saturday, January 23
Fancy Friday: We had a blast dressing up fancy on Friday and enjoying a fancy treat! The kiddos were absolutely adorable. Take a look at the pictures below to see for yourself… too much cuteness!
Mystery Reader: Kendall’s mom was our first Mystery Reader this week! She read the book Gobble-Gobble Crash! A Barnyard Counting Bash. Thanks for “visiting” our classroom for this fun read aloud!
Star Students: Gabba was a Star Student this week! Thanks for bringing in one of your favorite books to share with the class for the day.
First Grade Family Time: Ava joined the lost tooth club this week! No new friends joined the shoe tying club. Keep on practicing!
- Quote of the Week – This week’s quote went to Isaiah for always being able to put a smile on our faces! He is full of silly jokes and knows how to cheer others up when they need it. Thanks for being a bright spot in our classroom, Zay!
Writing: This week we practiced writing with details and helping readers pictures by using comparisons. We also practiced making lists in our nonfiction books and fixing up our books by pretending to be a reader.
Word Study: We practiced using ALL of the things we’ve learned about words to help us figure out big, long words! We also learned the importance of having a vowel in every syllable of a word, especially when we are writing words.
Math: We finally finished Unit 3 which was a tricky one! I am SO proud of their hard work as we completed each lesson as well as the test this week. The test had 10 story problems, so the kiddos were exhausted by the end of it. Having the early release this week was perfect timing for them to rest up and get ready for Unit 4: Place Value Concepts!
Reading: This week we tried to figure out what to do when we learned new words. We looked at clues around the new word to see if we could find a way to figure out how to read it and what it means. We also worked on finding key words and making our voices sound smooth and fluent while we read.
Martin Luther King, Jr.: We spent Friday learning all about Martin Luther King, Jr. and the significance he had on our country. We learned about his dream that all little boys and little girls be treated equally no matter the color of their skin! We will continue to celebrate him tomorrow and continue to do our part in helping make his dream come true.